The kit arrived in 2 parts, a flat-rate USPS box with all the hardware, and a 46lb. UPS package with all the wood components.
The metal rods had punched their way out of the box, but the rest of the hardware was well packed. The rods for this machine should actually be 25"+ long, so the proper rods wouldn't have been in this box anyways. The wood was superbly packed, and wrapped in several layers of cardboard and cling wrap.
Throughout completion of the build, I kept track of how I used the hardware. There were a number of discrepancies, and I recorded everything in a spreadsheet (available HERE on Google docs, or for download at the bottom of the page). I gave all the info to Patrick, and he has updated his packing lists for future shipments.